Our communities are stronger when everyone can afford to live in a safe and healthy home.
Homeword uses sustainable methods to provide safe, healthy homes people can afford and strengthens community through housing counseling and education for those in need.
Historically the demand for homes Montanans can afford to rent or buy has exceeded the supply. Wages in the state are low while the cost of living remains high. Renters and homeowners alike find themselves challenged by high home costs.
Homeword recognizes these very real problems and seeks to address them with ecologically sound and socially responsible solutions. It all begins with our core belief—the simple notion that we cannot build for the future by destroying the environment today. We create high-quality, sustainably-built homes that our residents are proud to live in and that the community as a whole is proud to support.
We also teach financial skill building and renter workshops, as well as provide homebuyer education and counseling, as the first steps towards self-empowerment and self-sufficiency. This holistic approach continues to prove successful for thousands of Montanans.
View the timeline
Homeword began in 1994 in response to the growing need for homes Montanans can afford. We are regionally and nationally recognized for our homes and our programming.
Since 1994, we’ve created or preserved 1,108 homes for more than 1,900 Montanans, including 620 children, at 29 properties in 11 communities around the state. Currently we are developing or preserving 288 more homes, adding two additional communities to our reach. Since 1997, our walk-in Regional HomeOwnership Center has empowered more than 15,000 people.
Our clients are as diverse as our state. We empower Montanans of all ages, including working Montanans, seniors on fixed incomes, people with disabilities, domestic violence survivors, Veterans and parents of many precious children. We work statewide and are committed to bringing our holistic approach to homes Montanans can afford to rent or buy.
- Missoulian Western Montana Business Top 10 Workplace (2018)
- USGBC Montana Innovative Project, Residential, Multi-Family Award: Sweetgrass Commons (2018)
- United Way of Missoula County Gold Standard Award (2017, 2016)
- City of Missoula/Missoula in Motion Transportation Best Practices Award (2016, 2015, 2013, 2005)
- Missoula Job Service Executive Committee Employer of Choice (2014)
- Sonoran Institute Building from the Best of the Northern Rockies Award (2007)
- Montana State Extension Office EcoStar Award (2006)
- Orton Family Foundation Inaugural PLACEMATTERS Innovator in Place Award (2006)
- Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Best Practices Award (1998)
- Missoula Historic Preservation Award (1998)