Our first-time homebuyer education course teaches you how to:
- Select a lender
- Determine affordability
- Use credit wisely
- Distinguish between different types of loans
- Understand home inspections and insurance
- Identify special financing programs
- Work with a real estate professional
- Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of homeownership
When you successfully complete the entire course, we provide you with a certificate of completion which is required for many down payment assistance and other lending programs for first-time homebuyers.
Classes are open to the public. Courses are offered monthly and run nine hours either from 6-9 pm for three consecutive evenings or if weekday classes don't work for your schedule, we offer all day Saturday classes several times a year, which run from from 9 am - 6 pm. Check the calendar for upcoming Saturday classes ».
The cost for the classes is $20 per person or $35 per household. Payment is due at time of registration. You may make payment either online or by dropping off or mailing payment to 1535 Liberty Lane, Ste 116A, Missoula, MT 59808.
Childcare vouchers are available for off site childcare services. Please call Holly at 406-532-4663 if you are interested in childcare vouchers. Childcare is located at Busy Bee's located at 1830 River Rd (on Hunton off River Road). You must contact Corina AT LEAST ONE WEEK PRIOR TO THE CLASS, by calling her at 406-273-1147 to arrange for childcare services.
Refreshments are provided during class.
It is the responsibility of the registrant to re-schedule classes missed. Classes fill up quickly so be sure to call ahead to re-schedule.
Homeword is firmly committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation. Please call (406) 532-4663 x10 to request accommodation or to obtain materials in an alternate format, or dial 711 (TTY).
Homeword does not offer down payment assistance funds or loans. However, we are a HUD Certified Housing Counseling Agency. Each participant who successfully completes the entire course is provided with a certificate that is required for many down payment assistance and other lending programs for first-time homebuyers. Our instructors and counselors will refer you to available down payment assistance options in the community. Click here for more information on payment assistance funds and loans.
Our programs are made possible by the generous support of sponsors to our HomeOwnership Center. Click here for more information about sponsorship.
Housing Counseling and Education clients are not obligated to use any product or service offered by sponsorship agencies, their affiliates or partners. Homeword will provide information on alternative services, programs and products. Clients should consider a variety of resources and options and select the resources that best meet their needs.
- Encore Building, llc
- Mountain West Bank
- PayneWest Insurance
- Datsopoulos, MacDonald & Lind P.C. - 20th Celebration
- NeighborWorks Montana - 20th Celebration
- PayneWest Insurance - 20th Celebration
- Quality Construction - 20th Celebration
- Randall, Hensel & Company - 20th Celebration
- Republic Services of Montana - 20th Celebration
- Earth & Wood - Homebuyer Photo Contest
- Anderson Zurmuehlen - Sustainable Communities Tour
- Comfort Systems USA - Sustainable Communities Tour
- Community Bank - Sustainable Communities Tour
- Datsopoulos, MacDonald & Lind, P.C. - Sustainable Communities Tou
- MMW Architects - Sustainable Communities Tou
- Quality Construction - Sustainable Communities Tour
- US Bank - Sustainable Communities Tour
Many thanks to our generous funders who help make it possible to offer our HomeOwnership Programs.